Sunday Post: New Year 2013…12 Critical Parenting Goals
As parents, what should our goals be for New Year 2013?
Jake at Time after Time has a Sunday Post Challenge and every week he provides a theme…this week’s theme is NEW YEAR 2013.
Here are 12 critical parenting goals for the New Year.
1. Make sure your children get to go outside to play…fresh air and physical activity are so very important to a child’s good health.
2. Encourage family time and activities for your child…participating with your child in a simple craft project takes just a few minutes…,but it builds self-esteem, develops stronger literacy skills and creates a life-long parent-child bond.
Here’s a wonderful book that gives 100’s of quick and easy activities for young kids: Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking
3. Help your child gain social skills by encouraging interaction with other kids.
4. Promote good eating habits…invite your child to help in the kitchen, provide nutritious foods and set definite times for meals.
5. Help your child develop a sense of responsibility by assigning chores and expecting your child to carry out age-appropriate tasks.
6. Encourage your child to interact with the world and its inhabitants…visit zoos, museums, concerts and other places of interest.
7. Help your child develop independence…but always keep your child safe.
8. Encourage your child’s love and appreciation of nature and help him develop an awareness of the need to preserve and protect the environment.
9. Find time every day to read with your child…studies show that children who are read to on a daily basis are more successful in school…and in life.
Here’s a great resource for the perfect picture book: Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book Page
10. Establish traditions that are right for your family…for example, hunting for just the right pumpkin for Halloween…the memory of these traditions will make a positive impact on your child throughout his life.
11. Help your child to feel good about his body and to learn good hygiene…for example, washing hands often and proper dental care.
12. Show and tell your child every day that you love him and care about him.
What goals do you have for New Year 2013…for yourself…for your children?
Want more information about Jake’s Sunday Post?
- A New Year is upon us… | Chronicles of Illusions →
December 30th, 2012 → 6:32 AM
- New Year’s Traditions In Ecuador « Zeebra Designs & Destinations →
December 30th, 2012 → 5:49 PM
- Sunday Post: 2013 « patriciaddrury →
December 31st, 2012 → 12:14 AM
- Sunday Post: New Year 2013 « Milka Pejovic →
December 31st, 2012 → 1:02 AM
- SUNDAY POST: NEW YEAR 2013 « Francine In Retirement →
December 31st, 2012 → 2:14 AM
- Sunday Post: Architecture…Books Create a Strong Foundation (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Natural Resources…The Children of the World (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Peaceful…How to Create a Peaceful Home (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Concept…Are We Teaching Our Children to Gossip? (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
Posted on December 30, 2012, in New Year 2013, Parenting Goals, Sunday Post and tagged Parenting Goals, Positive Parental Participation, Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Sunday Post: New Year 2013. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.