Hello 2013…Turning The Next Page
Happy New Year, Everyone! We say goodbye to 2012…and hello to 2013.
A new year gives us all the opportunity to:
- Start afresh
- Create a plan
- Say sorry
- Keep a promise
- Make a vow
- Get in shape
- Change direction
- Share love
- Connect with nature
- Eat healthy
- Take a breath
- Reach out
- Stand up
- Step in
- Work smart
- Practice time-management
- Smile more
- Move forward
I’m excited to be taking part in several writing challenges for 2013:
Julie Hedlund’s 12×12 (to write 12 picture book drafts in 2013)
Alayne Kay Christian’s Sub Six (to submit 6 picture books in 2013)
Susanna Leonard Hill’s Perfect Picture Book Friday (to review a picture book every Friday)
Nancy Hatch 1st ever SLTW Writing Contest
Highlights Fiction Short Story Contest (thank you, Hannah, for the heads-up about this)
I’ll also be doing Emma Walton Hamilton’s Just Write for Kids online picture book writing course that I won as part of Julie’s 12×12 Prize Extravaganza.
And I’ve just found another challenge that will add some balance to this picture book writing/submitting frenzy…No/Low Spend and De-cluttering January Challenge sponsored by Carla at My 1/2 Daily Dozen
I’ve been wanting some encouragement and support for these tasks…not sure which will be more difficult…budgeting or throwing away stuff we don’t need! I actually think it will be the de-cluttering. But I know that a less cluttered workspace can mean less stress and more efficient use of time…no more hunting for hours for that slip of paper with the important story ideas. If these are areas where you need help, check out Carla’s link above.
So, this is my plan:
- Stick to our budget by trimming spending to only necessary items.
- Reevaluate at the end of the month to see if more cutting is necessary.
- I already cook/bake almost everything myself…I treat myself to take-out Indian once a month.
- Go through the house…one drawer, cabinet, closet at a time…perhaps there is money to be made (which will help the budget) by selling stuff we no longer need/want/use.
I’ve connected with the most amazing people…writers, photographers, artists, teachers, librarians, moms, dads and kids…I thank all of you for visiting my blog and commenting on my posts.
We donated 20 copies of Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking to libraries in 8 states and 3 provinces in Canada.
We also donated 12 copies of Show Me How to schools in the US and Canada.
A portion of the proceeds from my book sales went to several children’s organizations:
- JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)
- Bess the Book Bus (a mobile literacy outreach)
- STAR (Sit and Read Together…a literacy program funded by CPCD in Colorado Springs)
- Books of Wonder (for renovation of this NYC indie children’s bookstore)
- Kids Are Heroes (recognize children all over the world who reach out to help their community)
- Reach Out and Read (nationwide program that connects books and kids via pediatricians)
As most of you know, there are big changes in my life…I am retired as of January 1st.
What does that mean?
As my son so aptly wrote, “We wish you all the best as you turn the page to the next chapter in your book of life.”
I could not have said it better!
So on this first day of the New Year 2013, I wish all of you the best as you turn the page to the next chapter in your book of life!
- Don’t Be Afraid…Go Ahead…Write Picture Books! (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
- Happy New Year 2013! Join me for gifts galore! (mybookofstories.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Surroundings…Hurricane Sandy…You Have to Gab Before You Can Roar (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
Posted on December 31, 2012, in Goal-setting, New Year 2013 and tagged Alayne Kay Christian, Emma Walton Hamilton, Happy New Year, Julie Hedlund, New Year 2013, Positive Parental Participation, Reach Out and Read, Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Susanna Leonard Hill. Bookmark the permalink. 31 Comments.