Jake at Time after Time has a Sunday Post Challenge…a recent theme was PERSPECTIVE.
Night-time in Singapore! What a perspective! Don’t you want to be there?
Traveling definitely gives a person a whole new perspective on the world.
My trip to the 2013 Asian Festival of Children’s Content was my first international trip ever. I connected in Tokyo and was impressed with the extreme cleanliness and calm atmosphere. I found the same conditions at Singapore Airport…it was beautiful! (Sad to say that connecting through Houston Airport on my way back home was not as pleasant…in fact, it was appalling) I got my luggage, followed the signs (in both English and Chinese) and was greeted at the exit door by a lovely lady who indicated which taxi was for me. The driver put my bag in the trunk and took me to my hotel. He was courteous and friendly and his cab was so clean.
Although I didn’t get to see much of Singapore because the conference was so filled with activities and sessions, I know I will return. The people of Singapore are welcoming and kind, the city is beautiful, the hotel I stayed at (Hotel Grand Pacific) was all you could hope for…robe and slippers provided and all the amenities like hair products and sewing kit as well as a dental kit (yes, a toothbrush and little tube of toothpaste) and shaving kit (razor and little tube of shaving cream) provided fresh EVERY day! The hotel staff were attentive and the breakfast buffet every morning was delicious!
I can’t wait to do it again. To find out more about the events and see lots more pictures:
For the trip to Singapore, I was on my own, but traveling with children can be…challenging. With summer just around the corner, here are a few tips for parents:
- Make your plans and reservations in advance.
- Research the area you will be visiting – is it kid-friendly?
- Bring healthy snacks for the trip – packs of cheese and crackers or small zip-lock bags of pretzels, cheerios or fruit slices might be a life-saver.
- Provide plenty of water so everyone stays hydrated.
- Let each kid have their own small backpack with book, crayons, paper and small games.
- Stay calm…your kids will be reassured by this.
Here is a link from one of the wonderful people I met at the AFCC in Singapore…she is an author, publisher and mom…I hope you will go and visit her blog: http://celebrationzkids.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-have-memorable-vacation-with.html
Here are a few more with great travel tips:
Join in the fun with Jake’s Sunday Post.
- My little slice of One Big Story at Asia’s biggest book festival (mummumstheword.wordpress.com)
- Final destination – Singapore (trillastravels.com)