Clutter-busting 101 and a Pitch Pick Contest
Are you a saver or a tosser?
My sister-in-law once told me if you didn’t use something in a year, it was time to get rid of it.
I’ve got stuff that I haven’t used in… 10 or 20 years!
As many of you know, we are moving from Colorado to New Hampshire at the end of September.
We’ll be flying 2000 miles to relocate so that we can be closer to our daughter and grandson.
With a little more than a month to go, I devote several hours each day to clearing out closets and drawers.
I wish I had taken my sister-in-law’s advice – my current task would be less overwhelming.
A couple of years ago, I saw an Andy Rooney segment on 60-minutes – he related the clutter in our lives to the contents of our kitchen gadget drawer.
He said that most of the items he found in his kitchen drawer had not been used for 20 or 30 years.
When I went to empty mine the other day, this is what I found:
- Rubber gripper for opening bottles (I use this ALL the time)
- Graham Kerr sheet metal thing with ruler marking on one side (maybe for pastry making…have never used it)
- Orange cylindrical plastic thing (lemon juice extractor?)..I actually have 2 of these
- Wooden honey dipper (not sure what you call it…when I need honey, I use a spoon)
- Green plastic grapefruit sectioner (we don’t eat grapefruit)
- Orange Tupperware spreader/spatula (never used…will take it out of gadget drawer so I will have it when I need it)
- Yellow plastic cylindrical thing labeled Sunkist (maybe for extracting juice from an orange)
- Old-fashioned metal garlic press (I usually hit the garlic clove with the flat blade of a big knife)
- Wooden double mini rolling-pin (didn’t know I had this…could have used it several times in the past)
- 3 top-notch wine bottle openers (my husband doesn’t drink wine anymore and I never did!)
- Old-fashioned metal can opener (just in case the electric can opener doesn’t work, I guess)
- Lobster/crab leg cracker and set of picks (we have lobster or crab legs MAYBE once a year!)
- Red plastic flour scooper (why isn’t it in the container with the flour)
- Broken tea strainer
- Metal melon ball scooper (I can’t remember the last time I scooped melon balls)
- Vacuum pump and rubber corks for sealing open wine bottles
- Wooden roller thing (not sure what it is for)
- My oldest son’s original baby spoon (he turned 41 last month)
- Set of cheese spreaders/cutters (use them at Christmas)
- Set of 4 multi-colored mini rubber prep bowls (so small I don’t know what I could prep in them)
What’s in your kitchen gadget drawer? I’d love to know that I’m not the only one with items I have never used and have no clue what they are for.
If you have a few minutes, please head over to Susanna Leonard Hill’s blog today where she is having her July Pitch Pick. My pitch for the third book in my Tomato Turner series is there – The Tomato Turner Get a Job. You get to vote on the pitch you like best! http://susannahill.blogspot.com/2013/08/would-you-read-it-wednesday-101.html
I apologize for being MIA from blogging in recent weeks. On Friday, I’ll be reviewing a GREAT new picture book – Chick-o-saurus Rex – by Lenore and Daniel Jennewein. I’ll also be presenting helpful posts with back-to-school tips for parents and kids over the next few weeks.
- 7 Kitchen Gadgets That Nobody Needs (thenest.com)
- Live Clutter-Free (atidbitaday.wordpress.com)
- What to Do about Other People’s Clutter (creativeorganizing.typepad.com)
- Free State or Bust (pileusblog.wordpress.com)
- Where is your Clutter? (findingorderincorpusa.wordpress.com)
- Out of Clutter, Find Simplicity (itstidytime.wordpress.com)