Happy New Year to all!
Today is Friday – I have a children’s book review to add to the Perfect Picture Book resource list that author Susanna Leonard Hill is building on her blog. For more wonderful reviews from authors, educators and others who contributed today, please go here.
One of my blogging buddies, author Emily Lim, has a whole series of books that address important issues that young children can relate to. One of her newest is Tibby, the Tiger Bunny.
TIBBY, THE TIGER BUNNY
Written by Emily Lim
Illustrated by Jade Fang
Publisher: Epigram Books (October 2013)
Ages: 4 and up
Friendship, getting along with others, being different
From Emily’s blog: “All Tibby ever wanted was some friends to play with, but the other rabbits found him too strange. After all, he could pounce and roar like a tiger. But he also had long floppy ears and could hop like a bunny. Was Tibby a tiger or a bunny?”
Why I like this book:
- Great read-aloud for younger children…older kids will enjoy reading it themselves
- Wonderful message about friendship, getting along with others and being yourself
- Lovely illustrations by the talented Jade Fang
How a parent can use this book:
- Great read-aloud
- Opportunity for discussion about what it means to be a friend and why it is important to be yourself
Arrange play-dates for your child…especially if he or she is not in preschool yet…a little socialization goes a long way towards helping kids learn how to get along with each other and discover their own strengths.
PAPER PLATE TIGER/BUNNY
Photo courtesy http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Plate-Bunny
You will need a paper plate, construction paper, scissors, glue and markers.
- Cut out ears and whiskers from construction paper.
- Glue in place.
- Use the marker to add the bunny’s features.
- You can turn the plate over and create a tiger face on the other side.
- Let your child role-play with each side – how does he act and sound when he is a tiger? A bunny?
NEW SERIES COMING TO A BLOG NEAR YOU – GOAL BUSTERS
On the first Monday of each month, we be taking a peek at the goals we’ve made and the steps we are taking to reach them. This month, I’ll share my goals for 2014, the steps I’m taking to reach them…and how I plan to reward myself when I reach each goal! In February, author Alayne Christian will take the spotlight and in March, author Clarike Bowman-Jahn will be featured. Please join us for GOAL-BUSTERS!
- A Picture Walk through Tibby The Tiger-Bunny’s Birthday Bash (mummumstheword.wordpress.com)
- Thank God Friday #12 – Bunny, Balloons & Book Birthdays (mummumstheword.wordpress.com)
- Mirror, Mirror on the Wall – Reflections on My Writing Year (mummumstheword.wordpress.com)
- 20 Of The Best Children’s Books Of 2013 (buzzfeed.com)