PPBF: The Story of Black Beauty – The Year of the Horse
Today is Friday – I have a children’s book review to add to the Perfect Picture Book resource list that author Susanna Leonard Hill is building on her blog. For more wonderful reviews from authors, educators and others who contributed today, please go here.
January 31st starts the Chinese Year of the Horse. In honor of that…and because I’ve always loved horses, I offer a picture book version of one of the most beloved of all horse stories.
The Story of Black Beauty
Written by Anna Sewell
Illustrated by Alan Marks
Publisher: Usborne Publishers Ltd (Picture Book Classics – 2008)
Ages: 4 and up
Friendship, horses, animal welfare, treating others with kindness and consideration
From Amazon: “Anna Sewell’s classic story of a young horse’s journey from the rolling hills of the English countryside to the dark, cobbled streets of London, retold for young children in picture book form.” Black Beauty grows up on a pleasant farm, surrounded by loving caretakers and good friends. But events take place and she is sold and then sold again. Each new master fails to treat her with kindness and consideration – this is a true picture of London at the turn of the century.
Why I like this book:
- Great read-aloud for younger children…older kids will enjoy reading it themselves
- Beautiful watercolor illustrations
- The story was written over 100 years ago…it is timeless and timely
How a parent can use this book:
- Great read-aloud
- Opportunity for discussion about animal welfare and treating others with kindness and sympathy and respect – people as well as animals
FOOTPRINT HORSE PICTURE
Photo courtesy of http://www.allkidsnetwork.
You will need: Construction paper, markers, scissors, glue AND your child.
- Trace the outline of your child’s foot on a piece of construction paper (this will be the horse’s head).
- Cut it out and cut out from construction paper (or draw) the other elements in the picture – horse’s neck, fence, flowers.
- For detailed instructions, please go to: http://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/animals/farm/footprint-horse.asp
More awesome horse crafts for kids here: http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/HorseCrafts.html
PLEASE COME BACK TOMORROW FOR THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF:
WILL WRITE FOR COOKIES
I’M THRILLED TO BE SHINING THE SPOTLIGHT ON
ONE OF SINGAPORE’S MOST POPULAR PICTURE BOOK AUTHORS – DAVID SEOW
Posted on January 17, 2014, in Crafts for kids, Perfect Picture Book Friday, Picture Book Review, Year of the Horse and tagged Anna Sewell, Black Beauty, Make a horse craft, Perfect Picture Book Fridays, Year of the Horse. Bookmark the permalink. 13 Comments.