Perfect Picture Book Friday: Dot.
Are you ready Perfect Picture Book Friday?
I found a book that our kids these days can definitely relate to. And since I’m writing a book about a boy who wants to play on his tablet more than anything else, I’m using it as a template text.
Written by Randi Zuckerberg
Illustrated by Joe Berger
Publisher: Harper (2013)
Themes: Life balance, electronics devices
“This is Dot. She knows a lot. She knows how to tap, to touch, to tweet, to tag.
Dot’s a spunky little girl well versed in electronic devices. Dot knows a lot. She knows how to tap . . . to swipe . . . to share . . . and she pays little attention to anything else, until one day Dot sets off on an interactive adventure with the world surrounding her. Dot’s tech-savvy expertise, mingled with her resourceful imagination, proves Dot really does know lots and lots.
Why I like this book:
- Young kids will just about be able to read this by themselves.
- Simple language combines with bold fun illustrations
- Love the message of life balance – there is a place for electronic devices, but we mustn’t forget that kids need outdoor activities as well.
How a parent can use this book:
- Wonderful read aloud
- Great book to encourage listening and literacy skills
- Encourage discussion about enjoying all types of activities
Getting kids outside is really important. They need the fresh air and the large muscle movement that is hard to allow in the house. While you are outside with them, why not go on a leaf hunt. There will soon be plenty of leaves to collect. See how many different types you can find.
You will need: Piece of construction paper or cardboard, glue stick, leaves.
- Collect different size, shape and color leaves. (that’s a whole other lesson in categorizing)
- Let your child arrange the leaves on the paper.
- Glue each leaf in place.
- Hang up in a place of honor.
Does your child have a bulletin board or place where he can display his creative work? Even a fridge will work…all you need are some magnets.
Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you all have a beautiful weekend.
If you are looking for more picture book reviews and activities, please stop by Susanna Leonard Hill’s blog: http://susannahill.blogspot.com/2015/09/perfect-picture-book-friday-how-sun-got.html
Posted on September 25, 2015, in Craft Activity for Kids, Perfect Picture Book Friday, Picture book reviews and tagged Dot., Fall leaf collage, Joe Berger, Randi Zuckerberg, Susanna Leonard Hill. Bookmark the permalink. 11 Comments.