Picture Book Review and Activity PLUS Giveaway: TRAINS DON’T SLEEP
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Right now, I am in Chicago, visiting family! Thank goodness for being able to schedule posts in advance.
It’s Perfect Picture Book Friday and I’m thrilled to present another 2017 debut picture book.
I also wanted to remind everyone to continue to spread the word about the #50PreciousWordsforKids International Writing Challenge. There are only a few more days for teachers and parents to email the stories to me – it’s a wonderful activity for schools who want to celebrate Children’s Book Week or for parents who enjoy providing creative projects for their kids. I’m grateful to everyone who shared on social media or who contacted teacher and parent connections.
Today’s Perfect Picture Book Friday also has a giveaway…so don’t forget to leave a comment.
TRAINS DON’T SLEEP
Written by Andria Warmflash Rosenbaum
Illustrated by Dierdre Gill
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Puffing, chuffing, never yawning
Climbing hills as day is dawning.
Trains don’t sleep, they
CLANG and HOOT
Cross bridges and canyons, plow through snow, charge down mountains, and meander across fields filled with sheep. And when it is time to rest and dreams are just ahead, never fear—trains don’t sleep so that you can.
With the feel of a classic and vivid artwork that captures the power and majesty of trains, this is a fast-paced rhyming ode to the locomotive.
Why I like this book:
- Debut picture book author Andria Rosenbaum has nailed the rhythm and rhyme – I love the pacing that enables the reader/listener to feel like they are on a train.
- Beautiful illustrations…with a slightly muted dreamlike quality!
- And even though this is a book about how trains don’t sleep, I think it would make a perfect bedtime read for young kids because of the wonderful rhythm and circular story.
Photo courtesy: http://craftulate.com/2016/03/train-crafts-art-ideas.html
- Make sure you chuga-chuga choo choo over to this website…they have the best train crafts for young kids: http://craftulate.com/2016/03/train-crafts-art-ideas.html
- If you live in the city, hop on a train with your child – if you live in the suburbs, check the train schedules and take a ride.
- Visit a train museum if there are any in your region.
Have a wonderful weekend, dear friends…don’t forget to leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway of a copy of TRAINS DON’T SLEEP.
And please come back tomorrow for:
Will Write for Cookies
With debut picture book author
And I hardly wait for May 11th when I post the #50PreciousWordsforKids stories!
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
Posted on May 5, 2017, in Crafts for kids, Susanna Hill's Perfect Picture Book Friday, Uncategorized and tagged #50PreciousWordsforKids, Andria Warmflash Rosenbaum, Dierdre Gill, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Train crafts for kids, Trains Don't Sleep. Bookmark the permalink. 19 Comments.