Last night, on 60 Minutes, Andy Rooney did a segment on gadgets one finds in the kitchen drawer. He said that most of the items he found in his kitchen drawer had not been used for 20 or 30 years.
It made me think about my kitchen gadget drawer (don’t we all have one?). So, this morning, I decided to empty it and check out what was in there.
Here is a list of what I found:
- Rubber gripper for opening bottles (I use this ALL the time)
- Graham Kerr sheet metal thing with ruler marking on one side (maybe for pastry making…have never used it)
- Orange cylindrical plastic thing (lemon juice extractor?)..I actually have 2 of these
- Wooden honey dipper (not sure what you call it…when I need honey, I use a spoon)
- Green plastic grapefruit sectioner (we don’t eat grapefruit)
- Orange Tupperware spreader/spatula (never used…will take it out of gadget drawer so I will have it when I need it)
- Yellow plastic cylindrical thing labeled Sunkist (maybe for extracting juice from an orange)
- Old-fashioned metal garlic press (I usually hit the garlic clove with the flat blade of a big knife)
- Wooden double mini rolling-pin (didn’t know I had this…could have used it several times in the past)
- 3 top-notch wine bottle openers (my husband has a small glass of wine with dinner and I don’t drink)
- Old-fashioned metal can opener (just in case the electric can opener doesn’t work, I guess)
- Lobster/crab leg cracker and set of picks
- Red plastic flour scooper (why isn’t it in the container with the flour)
- A dozen assorted wine bottle corks (I keep throwing them away and my husband keeps putting them in the drawer)
- Broken tea strainer
- Metal melon ball scooper (I can’t remember the last time I scooped melon balls)
- Vacuum pump and rubber corks for sealing open wine bottles
- Wooden roller thing (not sure what it is for)
- My oldest son’s original baby spoon (he turns 38 this month)
- Set of cheese spreaders/cutters (use them at Christmas)
- Set of 4 multi-colored mini rubber prep bowls (so small I don’t know what I could prep in them)
And that’s it! Do I just put it all back? Dump some of it?
What’s in your kitchen gadget drawer? I’d love to know that I’m not the only one with items I have never used and have no clue what they are for.