What do you think are the dirtiest, most germ-laden areas in your home?
Most people would probably say the bathroom or the kitchen.
Interestingly enough, studies reveal items like your television remote, cell phone and computer keyboard are actually the culprits!
How many of you lifted your fingertips off the keyboard just now? 🙂
No worries…you can easily clean it by turning it upside down and gently shaking to release any crumbs…then wipe with a cotton ball slightly damp with alcohol or special computer cleaning fluid and finish with an antibacterial wipe. Clean each key…the black ones are dirty even if you can’t see the bacteria. 🙂 For more detailed information: http://www.ehow.com/how_2215315_clean-computer-keyboard.html
Even though some research has put computer keyboards, TV remotes and cell phones at the top of the germ hot-spot list, the kitchen is not far behind.
So what can you do to insure that your kitchen is a safe place to prepare and store food for your family?
Here are 6 simple steps to give your kitchen a Health Makeover!
1. Always start with freshly washed hands when preparing or serving food…then wash hands, utensils, countertops and cutting boards, especially after touching raw meat or poultry.
2. Promptly refrigerate leftovers…bacteria can grow at room temperature.
3. Switch to glass food containers because some plastics contain chemicals that leech into the food.
4. Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly and remove outer leaves of lettuce and cabbage.
5. Wash off the tops of cans before opening…you never know who or what was crawling on the merchandise in the store warehouse.
6. Rinse off your can opener after each use…and give it a good wash on a regular basis.
Young children love to help in the kitchen…mixing and measuring give them a sense of competence…one of the building blocks in the formation of a positive self-image. If you are looking for fantastic fun-filled cooking activities, check out SHOW ME HOW! BUILD YOUR CHILD’S SELF-ESTEEM THROUGH READING, CRAFTING AND COOKING, available right now at half-price on my website.
Don’t forget, Mother’s Day is coming sooner than you think (May 8th)…why not grab a copy for a special mom or grand-mom in your life. And maybe one for yourself! It’s a gift that provides 100’s of fun-filled educational activities…and answers the question…what are we going to do today?