Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, dear friends. Are you having a bad hair day? Never fear – THE HAIR BOOK is here!Continue reading
Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, dear friends. I’m so excited to feature this debut picture book from the lovely Robin Currie. You first saw the Cover Reveal here…and I thought, wouldn’t it be great to invite her back when the book launched…which is in just a couple of days on March 1st! And there’s also a GIVEAWAY! So please make sure you leave a comment for the chance to win a copy of this awesome book.Continue reading
Welcome to Perfect Picture Book Friday!
Walking into the library or a bookstore is like opening a treasure chest filled with precious jewels. But it can also be overwhelming.
If you are a parent, which books should you pick to read with your children? If you are a teacher, which books are best for your preschool, kindergarten, or early elementary grade classes? And if you are a kidlit writer, which books will help hone your skills?
I hope the books I feature here this year will help you choose.
Today’s picture book is Lori Degman’s newest one…and guess what? Tomorrow she will be our Will Write for Cookies guest! And there will be a GIVEAWAY of a BRAND NEW COPY OF THIS BOOK!
NORBERT’S BIG DREAM
Written by Lori Degman
Illustrated by Marco Bucci
Publisher: Sleeping Bear Press (2016)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Follow your dream, teamwork
Norbert is a pig with a dream. It doesn’t matter if the other farm animals snicker behind his back, Norbert has always dreamed of swimming the English Channel. He’s been preparing and training and finally he’s ready for the big swim! But where exactly is the English Channel?! Will Norbert have to give up on his dreams or will his friends come to the rescue after all? A sweet, funny story about dreaming big.
“Most pigs are satisfied just rolling in the mud, or slurping slop, or snoozing in the shade. But not Norbert.”
Why I like this book:
- The author has a fabulous way with words…the story moves forward at a wonderful pace because she knows just the right ones to use.
- The illustrations are incredible…Norbert’s expressions clearly show the reader how he is feeling.
- I love that Norbert follows his dream, no matter what…most of all, I love that his friends rally behind him and enable him to make his dream come true.
- Pull out a map with your children and find the English Channel…check out articles about the different ways people have crossed it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/19722/8-ways-cross-english-channel-without-boat
- Talk with your children about making dreams come true. What are their dreams? What steps can they take to realize those dreams? Maybe you can mention some of the dreams or goals you had as a child…did you reach them? How? I think it is so important for children to see that there are steps one has to take to get where we want to go, whether it is to play ball at a local playground or walk on the moon.
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers and writers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I’ve been participating in Tara Lazar’s Storystorm and have a notebook filled with new story ideas already. And if you love entering writing contests, keep your eyes out for Susanna’s Valentiny Contest…she’ll be announcing it soon.
Please don’t miss tomorrow’s Will Write for Cookies Q&A with Lori Degman and the GIVEAWAY of a copy of Norbert’s Big Dream…right here!.