Category Archives: book giveaway
AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR JEANETTE BRADLEY!
Written and illustrated by Jeanette Bradley
Published by Roaring Brook Press (January 2018)
Themes: Parent/child relationship
Synopsis: From Amazon:
With a heartwarming story and tender illustrations, Jeanette Bradley’s debut picture book Love, Mama is perfect for Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and any day when a child needs a reminder of the strength of a mother’s love.
When Mama leaves her young penguin Kipling, he knows she’ll return home soon―yet he still can’t help but miss her. After all, Pillow Mama won’t read, Picture Mama won’t laugh, and Snow Mama is too cold to cuddle.
But then Kipling receives a special delivery from Mama, including a note that reads:
My love for you stretches across the wide ocean,
through day and night,
from earth to sky
and back again.
And Kipling knows that no matter where Mama is, he is loved. Soon, Mama comes home, and Kipling ends the day where he belongs―right in her arms.
Why I like this book:
Heartwarming text…sparse yet beautiful lyrical language
Super illustrations engage the reader from the first page turn to the last
I love books that give children confidence in the love of their parents…and the realization that even if parents leave (for a day of work or for the night when they go to sleep) they will be back!
The perfect book for Valentine’s Day and a new favorite of mine for bedtime storytime.
Jeanette was kind enough to share a super fun activity with us!
You can print out the template here:
What you need:
Small cardboard box
Paper for cutting out hearts (see templates)
Used postage stamps cut off envelopes
Stamps and stamp pad for “cancelling” the stamps
“Treasures” to put in the box, like rocks, feathers, pom poms, buttons, beads, or other found objects
I hope all of you will join me in celebrating the debut picture book authors and illustrators of the wonderful stories that will be coming this year. I’ll be shining the spotlight on them for book birthdays and for Perfect Picture Book Fridays.
But as parents or teachers or just picture book lovers, do you ever wonder how you can help your favorite authors?
1. One of the best ways is to post a review on Amazon, Goodreads, and other book review sites.
2. Ask your local library to order the book…many libraries honor patron requests and some even have online request forms.
3. Buy a copy of the book.
4. And most importantly…TALK ABOUT THE BOOK…to friends, family, and anyone who will listen!
Please leave a comment below to be entered in a drawing for the copy of LOVE, MAMA that author/illustrator Jeanette is graciously giving away.
To learn more about Jeanette and her work and to download an educational guide for the book: http://www.jeanettebradley.com/
And just a few more important notes:
1. I’m participating in Julie Hedlund’s 12 Days of Christmas...an inspiring challenge to help kick off your writing year by looking back on 2017 and looking ahead to what you hope to accomplish in 2018.
2. Tara Lazar’s StoryStorm started yesterday…and I’ll be joining in as a participant as well one of the guest bloggers…I’m up on January 25th…I hope you’ll register and stop by as many days as you can on Tara’s blog…there are prizes and inspiring posts. In fact, two of my book deals this year were PiBoIdMo/Storystorm ideas from years past and in my post, I’ll be talking about how to take an idea to a published book.
3. I just received the color layouts for Sweet Dreams, Sarah…although there are still some tweaks needed…I’ve got my eyes on the October 2018 launch date, but am open to the possibility the book might not pub until Jan/Feb 2019. In which case I might just have FOUR books launching in ONE year. I will definitely need your help!
I’m looking forward to a stellar year with all of you!
Thank you for joining me on this grand adventure!
FIRST POST OF THE YEAR!!!
So you know it is going to be special, right?
Last year I featured as many 2017 picture books as I could. This year I plan to do the same thing for the debut picure books of 2018. HOPEFULLY, my Sweet Dreams, Sarah will be one of them! But for today, I’ve got a really special book for you! From a dear friend and critique buddy of mine, Nancy Churnin, who has a knack for finding golden nuggets of history and turning them into fabulous nonfiction picture books that children and adults will want to read again and again.
HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO CHARLIE TAKES HIS SHOT
CHARLIE TAKES HIS SHOT: How Charlie Sifford Broke the Color Barrier in Golf
Written by Nancy Churnin
Illustrated by John Joven
Published by Albert Whitman
Themes: Determination, Civil Rights, golf
From Amazon: Charlie Sifford loved golf, but in the 1930’s only white people were allowed to play in the Professional Golf Association. Sifford had won plenty of black tournaments, but he was determined to break the color barrier in the PGA. In 1960 he did, only to face discrimination from hotels that wouldn’t rent him rooms and clubs that wouldn’t let him use the same locker as the white players. But Sifford kept playing, becoming the first black golfer to win a PGA tournament and eventually ranking among the greats in golf.
Why I like this book:
- I love when authors can entertain, educate, and inspire by taking an impottant event in history and making it come alive for kids
- The text and illustrations engage from the first page to the last
- This is an important moment that built on what had come before and opened doors for those who came after
Photo courtesy: https://www.thecrafttrain.com
Tin Can Golf is fun for young kids and can be ramped up to make it more challenging for older kids. For detailed instructions: https://www.thecrafttrain.com/tin-can-indoor-golf-fun-from-recycled-junk/
Thanks to author Nancy Churnin, we have a giveaway of a copy of CHARLIE TAKES HIS SHOT. Please leave a comment to be entered. Remember, there is only one copy that can be won, but the book JUST launched TODAY…so you can hop over to your favorite bookstore and get a copy And don’t forget that leaving a review on Amazon or Goodreads only takes a couple of minutes, but it will mean the world to the author of that book you loved reading with your child.
Please come back tomorrow for the BOOK BIRTHDAY of LOVE, MAMA by Jeanette Bradley!