Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day…here’s a simple Irish Soda Bread recipe that your child can help prepare.
You will need:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 Tb margarine
- 1 beaten egg (reserve 1 Tb)
- ¾ cup buttermilk or sour milk
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 Tb honey
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Greased baking sheet
The bread is supposed to serve 16, but it will probably be less, because everyone will want seconds and thirds. 🙂
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Cut in margarine until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
3. Combine raisins, beaten egg (minus the 1 Tb) and buttermilk.
4. Add this to the flour mixture and stir until moistened.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently for 1 minute.
6. On a greased baking sheet, shape dough into a 6-inch round loaf.
7. Cut a 4-inch cross, ¼ inch deep, on the top.
8. Brush with reserved tablespoon of egg.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes until golden and cool on rack.
Important tip: When I made bread with my own children and the children in my daycare group, we always made enough dough so that EACH child could make his or her OWN small bread. The families of the daycare children definitely looked forward to our bread-making day each week…and how proud each child was, clutching his wrapped bread loaf as he made his way home!
Why do I always encourage parents to invite their young children into the kitchen to help cook and bake?
When your children help measure and mix the ingredients, they are gaining a sense of competence and confidence, two of the building blocks of high self-esteem.
When you spend time with your children, participating joyfully in an activity, your children understand that they are worthy of your precious time and they are people of value…these are also important factors in acquiring a positive self-image.
Would you like 99 other simple child-friendly cooking activities?
Just visit my website and buy a copy of SHOW ME HOW! BUILD YOUR CHILD’S SELF-ESTEEM THROUGH READING, CRAFTING AND COOKING…still on sale for 50% off the cover price! This is a unique resource for parents, daycare providers and preschool teachers. It also provides 100 easy eco-friendly craft projects and 100 summaries of picture books your young child needs to hear.
Oh, and don’t forget…we are awarding a CRAFTY EASTER BASKET, filled with craft supplies for your preschooler, to ONE LUCKY WINNER! If you purchase a copy of the book, you will be automatically entered to win…otherwise, you can fill out the contact form on my website for a free entry.
Please stop by tomorrow for Quotable Timeless Tuesdays.