Hold onto your hats! Today’s post is chock full of good stuff!
It’s Perfect Picture Book Friday…so you know we are going to have a super picture book to review. And, because this is the third Friday of the month, we will be featuring the debut picture book of tomorrow’s Will Write for Cookies guest, Sylvia Liu! Woo-hoo!
But we need to make a few announcements first.
- The lovely Susanna Hill has announced her long-awaited Halloweensie Contest…I’ve participated in this writing challenge for many years…it’s a ton of fun…and ONLY 100 WORDS. Check out the rules and prizes (oh, but definitely, with Susanna, there are always prizes) right here.
- Last month we ran a giveaway for a copy of Joan Leotta’s Summer in a Bowl. Thank you to everyone who commented…I enjoyed hearing what your favorite salad ingredients are. And the winner is:
BARBARA ANN PASTER
Barbara, I’ll be contacting you ASAP so I can get the book out to you.
- Tomorrow we’ll be giving away a copy of A Morning with Grandpa…so please stop by.
And now, thank you for your patience…it’s time for our #PPBF review.
A MORNING WITH GRANDPA
Written by Sylvia Liu
Illustrated by Christina Forshay
Publisher: Lee and Low Books (2016)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Family life, health and fitness, yoga
Mei Mei s grandpa is practicing tai chi in the garden, and Mei Mei is eager to join in. As Gong Gong tries to teach her the slow, graceful movements, Mei Mei enthusiastically does them with her own flair. Then Mei Mei takes a turn, trying to teach Gong Gong the yoga she learned in school. Will Gong Gong be able to master the stretchy, bendy poses? Winner of the LEE & LOW New Voices Award, this title celebrates, with lively spirit and humor, the special bond between grandparent and grandchild and the joy of learning new things together. Readers of all ages will want to try out some tai chi and yoga too!
“Mei Mei watched Grandpa dance slowly among the flowers in the garden.”
Why I like this book:
- I love books with multigenerational characters…and here we have a beautiful give and take relationship…each learning from the other.
- Text is filled with wonderful language as the author explains how to do various tai chi and yoga moves…as a reader, I loved how the story sounded…as a writer, I appreciated how carefully the author chose each and every word.
- The illustrations are absolutely perfect! We feel the character of Mei Mei…we see Mei Mei and her grandpa moving through the garden.
- In the back matter, the author provides explanations of various tai chi moves and yoga poses.
- Book trailer on Mr. Schu’s blog: http://mrschureads.blogspot.com/2016/04/book-trailer-premiere-morning-with_17.html
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Don’t miss tomorrow’s special post!
WILL WRITE FOR COOKIES
SYLVIA LIU will be in the house!
‘A Morning with Grandpa’ looks like a delightful book, Vivian. Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to check it out.
I’m very excited about the Halloweensie challenge. I’ll do my best to join in. Thanks for letting me know about it and introducing me to Susanna.
A gorgeous book by Sylvia Liu, I’m hoping it will be in our libraries soon. I also love the joining of generations. Children learn much from the aged as they also learn from the young. Thanks for a great review Vivian.
I’ve been wanting to check out this book for awhile now … thanks for the reminder to request it from the library asap!
I love this book. It deserves all the attention it’s been getting, but I already have a copy. Thanks.
Congrats to Sylvia–it’s a lovely and touching book 🙂
I just received this book in the mail from a contest I won over at Susanna’s blog. I loved the contrast between the grandfather and granddaughter throughout the book and the perfect way Sylvia tied the story together at the end. An all around perfect picture book as well as another great PPBF review!
Fabulous post, as always. I can’t wait to get my hands on this book!
Such a beautiful book! I love intergenerational stories.
Such a fun multicultural story that includes an inter-generational theme.
Pingback: SYLVIA LIU: Will Write for Cookies PLUS Giveaway | Picture Books Help Kids Soar
I love A Mornng with Grandpa – such a heart-warming intergenerational story.
It is, Pat…Sylvia did such a great job of giving us that sense of a loving relationship….and the illustrator just made it even better. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
What an awesome book! I love PBs with grandparents featured!
Thanks, Erik…glad you enjoyed the review.