Happy Book Birthday: Applesauce Day PLUS Giveaway
What could be better than a birthday?
A birthday that promises a yummy snack, that’s what!
Today we are turning the spotlight on a BRAND NEW PICTURE BOOK from veteran author Lisa Amstutz. When I heard about her book, I knew I had to help her celebrate because I, too, spent many happy autumns, picking apples and preparing applesauce with my family!
Don’t they look amazing! When I moved to New Hampshire a couple of years ago, we went apple-picking with my grandson. And then, we made applesauce!
So Happy Book Birthday to APPLESAUCE DAY!
Written by Lisa Amstutz
Illustrated by Talitha Shipman
Published by Albert Whitman (August 1, 2017)
I spy the big pot on the counter right away. “Hooray,” I say. “It’s Applesauce Day!”
:Maria and her family visit an apple orchard and pick apples. Then it’s time to turn the apples into applesauce! Every year they use the special pot that has been in the family for generations to make applesauce. First they wash the apples. Then Grandma cuts them into quarters. Follow each step in the process as everyone helps to make delicious applesauce!”
Why I like this book:
- Beautiful family-building story
- Charming illustrations with a vintage feel
- Wonderful launch pad for family activities with a great recipe and fun apple facts at the back of the book
- Kids will see the child characters playing important roles in the applesauce making process
Photo courtesy: http://abeautifulmess.com
You will need:
- Apples* (enough to fill your crockpot)
- Cinnamon stick
- Lemon juice
- Sugar, honey, or other sweetener
- Paring knife
- Potato masher or blender
- Peel and core the apples and put them in the crockpot.
- Add a cinnamon stick, a drizzle of lemon juice, and about an inch of water.
- Simmer on low for 6–8 hours or until the apples are soft.
- Mash or puree the cooked apples using a potato masher or blender. The latter will make a smoother sauce.
- Sweeten to taste with sugar, honey, or other sweetener. Enjoy!
* Cortland, Jonathan, McIntosh, Winesap, Transparent, Gala, Golden Delicious, and Fuji are good sauce varieties.
Dear friends…Lisa’s publisher, the wonderful Albert Whitman, has generously offered a copy of APPLESAUCE DAY as a giveaway. Please leave a comment to be entered into the drawing. We’d love to hear about your apple-picking, applesauce-making, or applesauce-eating experiences!
To find out more about Lisa and her wonderful books, go here.
A nd PLEASE, don’t forget that reviews on Amazon and Goodreads are a breath of life for authors and illustrators.
I appreicate you all spending a little of your time with us here at PIcture Books Help Kids Soar. Have a wonderful week!
Posted on August 1, 2017, in Book Birthday, book giveaway, Picture Book Review, Uncategorized and tagged Albert Whiman, Applesauce Day, Applesauce making, Family time, Lisa Amstutz, Talitha Shipman. Bookmark the permalink. 44 Comments.