Do ducks like the water?
Does the sun rise in the east?
Do kids love crafting?
The answer to all of these questions is YES!
Here’s a simple craft activity from Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking. It requires only 5 things…I’m sure you have all five in your home already. Your child will love making this puzzle and will enjoy putting it together and taking it apart…great pre-reading skills!
MAKE A PUZZLE
You will need: A picture (from an old magazine for example), a piece of heavy weight construction paper approximately the same size as the picture your child has chosen (or one side of a cereal box), a pair of safety scissors, paste or a glue stick and an envelope in which to store the pieces.
1. Let your child choose a picture from an old magazine.
2. Paste the picture onto the construction paper or cardboard.
3. Cut the mounted picture in pieces. Depending on the age of your child, this could be a two or three or more piece puzzle.
4. Help your child put the pieces together to form the picture.
5. Store the pieces in an envelope.
I’ll be doing a similar craft in downtown Colorado Springs on June 11th at the PBS Kids Fun Fest in Acacia Park from 10am to 2pm. There will be all kinds of entertainment and many tables of craft activities for children. If you are local, this is a MUST-GO-TO event…lots of fresh ideas for parents and teachers!
Please stop by tomorrow for What’s In Your Child’s Bookcase for a great picture book suggestion for summer reading. And don’t forget to visit my website to take advantage of the Jump Into Summer Half-off Sale.