Your child is going to school. As a parent, what can you do to make it the healthiest year ever?
Perhaps your child is a preschooler and will be attending a daycare or nursery school. Maybe your child is already in elementary school. Here are five simple steps that may keep your child from getting sick.
- Wash hands often: everyone should have their own towel…perhaps a different color for each member of the family. This helps colds from spreading like wild-fires!
- Dress appropriately: when it is cold, children should be dressed warmly, with hats or hoods on their heads…no ifs, ands or buts!
- Get enough sleep: young children need LOTS of sleep so set up bedtime routines and stick to them. Our body renews and cells regenerate during sleep. Did you know that children between the ages of 2 and 5 need 11-14 hours of sleep? For more information about sleep and young children, you can go to: http://www.sleepforkids.org/html/sheet.html.
- Make every meal and snack count: a good breakfast is a MUST and snacks can provide additional important nutrition, especially for picky eaters. For more ideas on healthy meal planning for the whole family, you can visit: http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/healthy_eating/habits.html
- Keep a sick child home: I know it is difficult, especially when parents work…but your child will get better sooner and the teacher and the other children in the class will thank you. With these tips, your children may stay healthy this school year and you won’t have to keep them home.
On September 24th, the Show-Me-How with Miss Vivian program will be at Family Christian Store, 7165 North Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO. There will be one presentation from 12 to 12:45pm. I’ll be reading Johnny Lion’s Bad Day to the parents and children and then we will all make Paper Plate Lions. This program is appropriate for children from two to seven years old. In addition, there will be a flyer for parents to take home about staying healthy this school year. I hope we will have a good turn-out…please spread the word and tweet this and post to Facebook…maybe some of your followers are local to Colorado Springs.
SAVE THE DATE
THIS SCHOOL YEAR!
SHOW-ME-HOW STORY-TIME PROGRAM
Saturday, September 24, 2011
12 to 12:45pm
Family Christian Store: 7165 N. Academy
719-598-1500 to RSVP
- Bring your young children and listen to a story
- Help your child make a simple craft project
- Get a free flyer: Have a Healthier School Year
Vivian Kirkfield is a local author, former kindergarten and Head Start teacher and mom of three. Her parenting program and award-winning activity book for ages 2-7, Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking, has helped thousands of parents build self-esteem, develop pre-literacy skills and create a stronger parent-child connection.
For more information: 719-237-3111 or firstname.lastname@example.org