Picture Book Review: The Little Fire Engine
Today is Perfect Picture Book Friday. If you would like to find more reviews of awesome picture books, please head over to Susanna Leonard Hill’s blog for over 1000 categorized book reviews plus activities.
When I read Susanna’s entry for this week, it reminded of one of the classic picture book writer/illustrators, Lois Lenski. She wrote dozens of books over 60 years ago and many of them – like The Little Fire Engine – are back in print in brand-new editions.
The Little Fire Engine
Written and illustrated by Lois Lenski
Publisher: Random House 2000 (originally published Scholastic Books 1946)
Theme: Helping others, firemen, fire trucks
Synopsis: Fireman Smail suits up and rushes to town to battle a fire. When he saves a young girl, Fireman Smail becomes the hero of Tinytown
Why I like this book
- This book brought back many happy memories.
- Published in 1946, it was a fairly new book when my mother read it to me.
- Although we won’t find the splashy colorful illustration of today’s books, the author/illustrator was one of the first to write to the modern child.
- The story is simple and straightforward and even young ones will love the fire truck that races to put out the fire.
How parents can use this book:
- Nice read–aloud with a simple story
- Talk about fire safety
- Set up a fire emergency plan – where will the family meet
Make a Fire Truck
You can make a wonderful fire engine using a box or empty milk container.
You can also make a great geometric fire truck picture using rectangles, circles and squares cut from construction paper.
Find great instructions for all here:
Busy moms on the run need quick and easy fun ideas to do with their kids. Read a picture book with your child. Then do a simple craft project. A few minutes of positive parental participation will make so much difference in your child’s life.
- Build self-esteem!
- Develop stronger language skills!
- Create a life-long parent-child bond
Please don’t forget that we have FREE SHIPPING on my website this month for my book that gives you 100 picture book recommendations and a craft project and recipe for each title.
- Notable Titles – Picture Book category (cbcavic.wordpress.com)
- PPBF: One Gorilla, A Counting Book (julierowanzoch.wordpress.com)
- Perfect Picture Book Friday! Forest has a Song by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater (thiskidreviewsbooks.com)
- A Picture for Harold’s Room…Shoebox Crafts for Kids (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)
Posted on April 12, 2013, in Fire Safety, Perfect Pictture Book Friday, Uncategorized and tagged craft a fire engine, Little Fire Engine, Lois Lenski, Perfect Picture Book Friday, Picture book, Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading. Bookmark the permalink. 21 Comments.