What good luck! I’m continuing my new blog schedule with a Monday post about writing. Susanna Leonard Hill graciously picked today to reveal the 8 finalists in the 4th of July Secret Mystery Writing Contest. Thanks, Susanna…perfect timing!
What bad luck! It will be very difficult to decide who should be the winner…each story is fantastic! You can help….go and read the entries…and VOTE!
What good luck! I just heard an acceptance speech for the Hornbook Award by Extra Yarn author Mac Barnett and illustrator Jon Klaussen. You can read it here and here or listen to it here. They said that a great picture book must:
- Convey some basic truth
- Have mystery, failure, strangeness, surprise
- Show a complexity of life that make stories rich
- Pleasant stories devoid of truth are not good stories
What bad luck! Putting all of that together is NOT EASY!!!!
One of the hardest things is finding the time to write!
Tune in next Monday for some TIMELY TIPS.
AND NOW TO REVEAL MY OWN SECRET MYSTERY!
It wasn’t really a secret…actually my husband and I just decided it was TIME.
And to anyone who knows me, it won’t be a mystery.
We are relocating to New Hampshire, to be closer to our daughter and grandson!!!!
No mystery there!
- The 4th of July Secret Mystery Writing Contest (viviankirkfield.com)
- Doodle-A-Day 7 (and a book review!) (julierowanzoch.wordpress.com)
- The snuggle quotient (thehindu.com)
- Learning how to read picture books again (writeaubreywrite.wordpress.com)
- Writing Picture Books (paradiseonpaper.wordpress.com)
- Kid Konnection: Creston Books Part 2 (bookingmama.net)