Perfect Picture Book Friday: The Color Machine
December is here, my dear friends. I’ve always looked forward to this time of year – the joy of holiday celebrations – the quiet moments of reflection as I think back on what I’ve done and look ahead to what I still want to accomplish.
But it’s been a very difficult year for our country. And there is trouble in so many parts of the world. Perhaps it was meant to be that I discovered today’s Perfect Picture Book when I connected with the author’s wife. The message is one of inclusivity and love.
THE COLOR MACHINE
Written and illustrated by A.H. Taylor
Publisher: A.H. Taylor (2016)
Inclusivity, working together
The town of Colormazoo has been turned inside out, everywhere you look there’s a scream and a shout. The Color Machine has broken down and the townspeople march to the Mayor.
“In the town of Colormazoo
where color is very important,
shouts of riot and rumpus grew
when the Color Machine was broken.
Why I like this book:
- If you are a fan of Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax and The Cat in the Hat, as I am, you will love this book.
- The text is rhythmical and often rhyming…simple enough for a young child to follow along.
- The illustrations are unique…bold yet simple line drawings.
- I absolutely love the message – perhaps the answer to the world’s problems is for someone to break the world’s color machine – it certainly worked in the town of Colormazoo.
Most kids love to listen to a story. But we can extend the learning by discussing and asking questions or participating in follow up activities. You and your child can:
- Draw a picture of a favorite character or scene from the story. Mount it on cardboard and cut into pieces to make a puzzle.
- Make a list of special words from the book. Older children can construct a word find puzzle.
- Think of a different ending.
- The author has made a free Kindle edition available for a limited time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N0K2R4Y/
I hope you all have a lovely weekend. I’ll be working on my entry for Susanna Hill’s Holiday Contest. If you are interested in joining in the fun, click here,
A week from Saturday, we’ll be having a special Will Write for Cookies post spotlighting author Jessica Lawson.
And the week after that, hold on to your hats for the interview with Duncan Tonatiuh and a GIVEAWAY.
And the week after that…will be Christmas Eve and my son and his family will be here from Chicago! There will be lots of cooking and baking and smiling, for sure.
Posted on December 2, 2016, in Perfect Pictture Book Friday, Picture Book Review, Uncategorized and tagged A.H. Taylor, Inclusivity, literacy activities for kids, parenting, Susanna Hill Holiday Writing Contest, The Color Machine, Working with Others. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.