Welcome to Perfect Picture Book Friday!
Walking into the library or a bookstore is like opening a treasure chest filled with precious jewels. But it can also be overwhelming.
If you are a parent, which books should you pick to read with your children? If you are a teacher, which books are best for your preschool, kindergarten, or early elementary grade classes? And if you are a kidlit writer, which books will help hone your skills?
I hope the books I feature here this year will help you choose.
Today’s picture book is Lori Degman’s newest one…and guess what? Tomorrow she will be our Will Write for Cookies guest! And there will be a GIVEAWAY of a BRAND NEW COPY OF THIS BOOK!
NORBERT’S BIG DREAM
Written by Lori Degman
Illustrated by Marco Bucci
Publisher: Sleeping Bear Press (2016)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Follow your dream, teamwork
Norbert is a pig with a dream. It doesn’t matter if the other farm animals snicker behind his back, Norbert has always dreamed of swimming the English Channel. He’s been preparing and training and finally he’s ready for the big swim! But where exactly is the English Channel?! Will Norbert have to give up on his dreams or will his friends come to the rescue after all? A sweet, funny story about dreaming big.
“Most pigs are satisfied just rolling in the mud, or slurping slop, or snoozing in the shade. But not Norbert.”
Why I like this book:
- The author has a fabulous way with words…the story moves forward at a wonderful pace because she knows just the right ones to use.
- The illustrations are incredible…Norbert’s expressions clearly show the reader how he is feeling.
- I love that Norbert follows his dream, no matter what…most of all, I love that his friends rally behind him and enable him to make his dream come true.
- Pull out a map with your children and find the English Channel…check out articles about the different ways people have crossed it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/19722/8-ways-cross-english-channel-without-boat
- Talk with your children about making dreams come true. What are their dreams? What steps can they take to realize those dreams? Maybe you can mention some of the dreams or goals you had as a child…did you reach them? How? I think it is so important for children to see that there are steps one has to take to get where we want to go, whether it is to play ball at a local playground or walk on the moon.
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers and writers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I’ve been participating in Tara Lazar’s Storystorm and have a notebook filled with new story ideas already. And if you love entering writing contests, keep your eyes out for Susanna’s Valentiny Contest…she’ll be announcing it soon.
Please don’t miss tomorrow’s Will Write for Cookies Q&A with Lori Degman and the GIVEAWAY of a copy of Norbert’s Big Dream…right here!.
I love Lori Degman books and this one sounds delightful.
A pig, a big dream, and good friends…does it get any better? This book looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
I didn’t realize Lori had a new book! I love the idea of a pig with a big dream and friends there to support him. What a fun book for kids. Love that cover!
The opening line speaks volumes and begs the reader to wonder if Norbert isn’t like other pigs, what IS he like? A perfect page turner. I’m also loving your activity idea to ask children about their dreams and share with them our own childhood dreams. The answers, I’m sure, will surprise, delight, and amaze.
Everyone should have a dream…pigs included! I have this book and it is delightful! Good pick, Vivian!
Gotta love a pig with an outlandish dream! Fun! And Norbert – great name! I have to get this one!
This sounds like a charming book. I’ll check it out at the library. Can’t wait to see where they live and how his friends help Norbert realize his dream. 🙂 Thanks, Vivian
Sounds like a lot of fun, and the cover art is gorgeous. I’m rooting for you Norbert.
Norbert swimming the English Channel. Now that would certainly be a sight. He has a big dream, and big dreams are good to have.
Definitely looks like a winner. But then again, any book with a pig in it, is bound to be a good one:)
yay for dreams. and yay for Norbert! I’m rooting for him to make it all the way!