Perfect Picture Book Friday: LIZZIE AND LOU SEAL Plus GIVEAWAY
Posted by viviankirkfield
Hold onto your beach hats, dear friends! Wednesday was the first day of summer and today we’ve got the perfect book to celebrate that.
Plus, today’s post is extra-special because author/illustrator Patricia Keeler is giving away a signed copy of LIZZIE and LOU SEAL
a pair of Lizzie’s favorite flip-flop earrings!
Make sure you leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway!
LIZZIE and LOU SEAL
Written and illustrated by Patricia Keeler
Publisher: Sky Pony Press (2017)
Ages: 3 – 6
Independence, friendship, problem solving
What will Lizzie do when Lou Seal loses his puff?
Lizzie loves her flip-flops. They go shuffle shuffle across the rug, smack smack on the floor tiles, and thwap thwap down the stairs. Lizzie also loves her blow-up toy, Lou Seal. Lizzie and Lou Seal are off to the beach, but beach fun turns to beach disaster when Lizzie loses her flip-flops and Lou Seal starts losing air! It’s a sink or swim scenario. What will Lizzie do?
This is a beautiful book with mixed media art and a lovely retro feel, for fans of Ladybug Girl at the Beach. Children will relate to Lizzie’s independence and creative problem solving and fall in love with Lou Seal themselves. Filled with lots of fun words and sounds, this is a perfect read aloud book for parents and children alike.
Why I like this book:
- Charming, retro surroundings frame Lizzie’s seaside life.
- The text marries perfectly with the illustrations and much of the story is briliiantly told in the illustrations…kids will enjoy discovering the leak in Lou Seal way before Lizzie notices it.
- This story engages all the senses, while reeling out a picture book that is the perfect beach read as well as a great anytime read-aloud.
- A great launch pad for a discussion about water safety.
FAUX SNOW GLOBE: On The Beach or In The Ocean?
We are so lucky. Author/illustrator Patricia Keeler has created a super fun craft for the kids!
You will need: Firm yellow heavy paper, firm blue paper, Krazy Glue, 2 clear lids from 32 oz Stonyfield Yogurt, sand, glitter & LIZZIE and LOU SEAL icon sheet below.
- Print out the LIZZIE and LOU SEAL sheet. Cut out Lou Seal and icons.
- Choose which items would most likely be found on land. Choose which items would be found in the ocean.
- Draw a circle around the yogurt lid on the yellow and blue sheets.
- In the center of the yellow circle, place sand, beach items and Lou Seal. In the circle on the blue paper, place blue glitter, ocean items and Lou Seal.
- Put Krazy Glue along the circle line. Stick the lid down and let it dry.
- SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE and enjoy!
Dear friends…have a safe and wonderful weekend, don’t forget to leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway…
make sure you leave a review for LIZZIE AND LOU SEAL on Amazon and…
…please come back tomorrow–Patricia Keeler is stopping by for our Will Write for Cookies Q&A!
About viviankirkfieldWriter for children - Reader forever Mom of 3, educator, author of SWEET DREAMS, SARAH (Creston Books, 2018), picture book junkie, lover of travel, hiking, cooking, playing Monopoly with my 8-year old grandson and fly-fishing with my husband.
Posted on June 23, 2017, in Author-illustrator interviews, Craft Activity for Kids, Perfect Pictture Book Friday, Uncategorized and tagged Giveaway, LIZZIE AND LOU SEAL, Make a Snowglobe Craft, Patricia Keeler, Sky Pony Press. Bookmark the permalink. 43 Comments.