Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, dear friends. Young children need laughter and joy in their lives – and here’s a book that will deliver smiles galore. It’s a BRAND NEW picture book from the lovely Jill Dana who is offering a Picture Book Critique as a giveaway – and when a Rate Your Story judge provides feedback on your manuscript, you know you’ve won something special! Make sure you leave a comment on this blog post for a chance to win!
Written by Jill Dana
Illustrated by Rachel Tan-Hwee
Published by Marshall Cavendish Children (Feb 1, 2022)
Themes: Humor, wordplay, belonging
Synopsis: From Amazon:
A fun, humorous adventure about experiencing new places, making new friends and discovering yourself
Fresh from the farm, Butternut awakes to find himself lost in a supermarket. Is he butter? Is he a nut? Is he squash or squashed? Just who is he and where does he belong?
Join Butternut on his journey through the supermarket aisles as he makes new friends and discovers more about himself.
Why I Love This Book:
1. Funny! Funny! Funny! And with a wonderful message about finding your own place in the world.
2. Kids will love the wordplay – parents and teachers can use this as a jumping off point for having even more fun with words. And there is a great section of back matter – all about foods and where they come from – there is even a teacher/parent guide with questions to use with kids.
3. The illustrations are bold and colorful and…FUN! Check out the wonderful way the illustrator used the text as art.
There are so many activities you can enjoy with the kiddos using food. Check out this awesome website to find great craft projects: https://www.firstpalette.com/craft/fruit-vegetable-prints.html
And remember, dear friends: there are several things we can all do to help great books succeed:
1. Buy them if we can
2. Review them on Amazon and other book sites
3. Tell friends about them (easy-peasy if you share this post on your social media
4. Ask your library to purchase copies for their collection
Don’t forget to leave a comment for a chance to win the Picture Book Manuscript Critique from BUTTERNUT author and Rate Your Story judge, Jill Dana!
And for more fabulous picture book recommendations and activities, please visit the founder of Perfect Picture Book Friday, Susanna Hill.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.