Category Archives: Giveaway
Today is the last day of March…and you know what they say…it comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.
We will keep our fingers crossed for good weather, blue skies, and balmy temperatures. But I don’t think I have enough fingers, because they say there is a blizzard coming today.
In the meantime, please sit back and relax. I’ve got a wonderful Perfect Picture Book Friday for you!
Oh wait! Last week’s wonderful author, Catherine Bailey offered a super-duper prize package of a signed copy of LUCY LOVES SHERMAN plus a lobster cookie cutter and a bookmark.
AND THE WINNER IS…
Congratulations, Paula. Please contact me so I can get your mailing information to Catherine.
Today’s Perfect Picture Book Friday also has a giveaway…so don’t forget to leave a comment. I also have a favor to ask. If you have not yet signed up for my email list, please do! One day, I PROMISE, I will be sending out a newsletter…and hope to have coupons for critique discounts for writers and other neat stuff for teachers and parents and kids. And all of that goodness can be yours…but only if you click on the sidebar logo. Many of you are already followers of my blog, but the email list is different. It allows me to email you directly. If you follow my blog, but aren’t subscribed to my email list, please click on the Positive Parental Participation logo. I thank you!
And now, on to our fabulous 2017 debut picture book from Lori Richmond.
PAX AND BLUE
Written and illustrated by Lori Richmond
Publisher: Paula Wiseman Books/Simon & Schuster (2017)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Friendship, thoughtfulness, kindness
“A young boy makes an unlikely friend on his way to school. One thing is for sure. Pax is the littlest everywhere he goes. In school. At playtime. On the train. Then Pax meets a pigeon at the park—he names him Blue and makes a friend who knows what it’s like to be small. And understanding each other can lead to the best friendships.”
Why I like this book:
- The text is so simple…how did the author say so much with so few words?
- It definitely helps that she is also the illustrator…and a darn good one! There is a purity and a simplicity in the illustrations that lets us discover the true message of the book.
- And the message is one that we want to share with children every day…how to be a real friend! This book will be a wonderful launch pad for discussions about friendship at home and in schools.
Rainbow Pigeon Mobile
Photo courtesy: https://www.pinterest.com/moonbeamsps/moonbeams-birds-nest/
You will need: Piece of construction paper, feathers or colored tissue paper or other scraps of colored construction paper, markers, glue, string.
- Cut construction paper in shape of bird.
- Glue feather or crumpled pieces of tissue or construction paper onto bird.
- Use marker to draw eyes, beak.
- Punch hole at top and thread string through it.
- Hang in the breeze and watch the bird flutter and fly.
For more wonderful bird craft ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/moonbeamsps/moonbeams-birds-nest/
Have a wonderful weekend, dear friends…don’t forget to leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway of a copy of PAX AND BLUE…and please come back tomorrow for:
Will Write for Cookies
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.