Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, dear friends! Oh wait…it’s Saturday! Hmmm…truth be told, I was supposed to post this NEXT Friday…but somehow, my finger slipped and the post was published. Hopefully, this gives you a chance to run and PRE-ORDER today’s featured book, which launches in a few days on August 2. This wonderful book highlights how an author can find really creative ways to help young kids be proud of what they can accomplish. I know this book will be a hit with every kid who loves trucks! And when you are finished reading the post, please make sure you leave a comment because the lovely Lori Alexander is offering a fabulous giveaway…the winner’s choice of a copy of the book or a 30-minute Zoom call or a Picture Book Critique – if you are a writer, the Zoom call or the critique with a multi-published award-winning author could be life-changing. And sharing the post on your social media will get you extra tickets in the giveaway hat!
MINI MIGHTY SWEEPS
Written by Lori Alexander
Illustrated by Jeff Harter
Published by Harper Collins (2022)
Themes: Self-esteem, trucks, be yourself
Synopsis: From Amazon:
Sweeps is a mini and mighty cleaning machine! She’s eager to get to work, but the other trucks don’t leave any jobs for her. Big jobs are only for the big trucks, they say.
But when a storm strikes, can Sweeps flex her brushes and step up to save the day?
This heartwarming story from Lori Alexander, with inviting illustrations by Jeff Harter, reminds us that heroes come in all shapes and sizes. Sweeps will win the heart of all young fans of construction vehicles.
Why I Love This Book:
1. Wonderful message of being happy in your own skin and doing the best at what you can do and never being afraid to have big dreams and goals.
2. The text is perfect for young children…with inner rhymes and alliteration and great pacing. I love how Lori used the days of the week to move the story forward.
3. Fabulous illustrations with each truck or construction vehicle showing personality and emotion – Jeff provided kids with what they love…vehicles…and lots of them – and the palette of colors is so pleasing.
Do your kids love vehicles? Mine did…they’d stand face pressed against the window to watch snow plows chug by. And they loved watching the garbage truck eat all of our trash. Check out this link and you’ll find lots of ideas on how to create fun-looking trucks using simple materials like popsicle sticks and paper plates and also ideas on activities for kids who love vehicles.
Please don’t forget to leave a comment to be entered in the amazing giveaway…winner’s choice of a copy of MINI MIGHTY SWEEPS or a 30-minute author Zoom chat or a Picture Book Critique from Lori Alexander! If you share on social media (and I hope you do), you’ll get extra tickets in the giveaway hat. And remember that your favorite authors and their books need your help:
1. Buy the books
2. Review the books
3. Tell your friends about the books (on social media or in person)
4. Ask your local library to purchase copies for their shelves.
I hope you are all having a safe and happy and healthy summer. And as always, I’m grateful to everyone who spends some of their precious time here on my blog.