Jake at Time after Time has a Sunday Post Challenge and every week he provides a theme…this week’s theme is TOYS.
As parents, our goal is to provide our children with everything they should have. Nourishing food – A safe place to live – Clean clothes to wear – Love and compassion – Reassurance when they are afraid – Consistency – An atmosphere that encourages learning.
Sometimes, parents feel they have to give their children EVERYTHING…and stores and the media encourage that belief…offering toys of every size and shape. Many parents spend more than they can afford to provide their kids with expensive electronic gadgets and ‘must-have’ items.
How much is too much?
To be honest, many young children would prefer the box that the toy comes in!
Here’s a list of my top 10 picks of what belongs on a young child’s toy shelf:
- Stuffed animals/Dolls
- Art supplies like crayons, paper, glue stick, safety scissors, markers, clay, paint
- Pretend play clothes
- Musical instruments like drums, bells, triangles
- Matching games like dominos
- Sports equipment like balls, hula hoops, bowling pins
- Flannel board pieces and puppets for storytelling and role play
What have I forgotten? What would you add?
Want more information about Jake’s Sunday Post?
- sunday post: toys (starlight427.wordpress.com)
- SUNDAY POST : Toys (jakesprinters.wordpress.com)
- Jakesprinter Weekly Sunday Post: Toys (danajoward.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Post: Close-Up: Simple Tips for First Day of School Anxiety (viviankirkfield.wordpress.com)