Can you believe this is the LAST DAY OF SEPTEMBER?
A couple of weeks ago, I promised that at the end of the month, I would give away a copy of my parent-teacher book in celebration of National Library Card Sign Up Month. Thank you to all who commented on that post. And the winner is
Congratulations, Jen…I will be in touch to get your mailing address.
For me, September always meant the start of a new school year…as a kid, I always loved the first day. My sister and I each got a new outfit and a shiny new pair of shoes. And I looked forward to seeing my friends after the long summer.
But even though the main character of today’s Perfect Picture Book Friday pick has a shiny new pair of shoes, her first day of school is not going well.
SEPARATE IS NEVER EQUAL: Sylvia Mendez & Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation
Written and illustrated by Duncan Tonatiuh
Publisher: Abrams Books for Young Readers (2014)
Discrimination, desegregation, bullying
Almost 10 years before Brown vs. Board of Education, Sylvia Mendez and her parents helped end school segregation in California. An American citizen of Mexican and Puerto Rican heritage who spoke and wrote perfect English, Mendez was denied enrollment to a “Whites only” school. Her parents took action by organizing the Hispanic community and filing a lawsuit in federal district court. Their success brought an end to the era of segregated education in California.
“Sylvia had on her black shoes. They were shiny new.”
Why I like this book:
- One of my favorite nonfiction picture books of 2014, this story is written and illustrated by the amazing Duncan Tonatiuh who is going to be our December Will Write for Cookies guest!!! And I’ll be reviewing his NEWEST book that month, The Princess and the Warrior. PLUS…there will be a giveaway of one of Duncan’s books!
- Powerful text combines perfectly with bold distinctive illustrations.
- Wonderful springboard for discussions on discrimination, segregation, and equality…and also bullying.
- Interview and read aloud with Duncan Tonituah: https://youtu.be/n7-kzJVcOUw
- A teacher’s guide – grades 1-5: https://laii.unm.edu/outreach/common/educators-guides/2015-Americas-Award.pdf
- Book trailer: https://youtu.be/KlyGKQdPePQ
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on here name and find an archived page of over 1000 picture book posts with activities. Click here for this week’s new reviews.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.