Picture Book Review and Activity PLUS Giveaway: LUCY LOVES SHERMAN
People who work from Monday through Friday often look forward to the end of the week. I look forward to the end of the week because that means…Perfect Picture Book Friday. But first, a few things to take care of.
- Last week we enjoyed having Marcie Colleen and her adorable pals, the SUPER HAPPY PARTY BEARS. We promised two giveaways and here they are.
THE WINNER OF STAYING A HIVE IS…
THE WINNER OF GOING NUTS IS…
Ladies, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org and I will make arrangements to get the books to you.
- The ReFoReMo Challenge is winding down…thanks to Carrie Charlie Brown and Kirsti Call for all of their work in organizing this for the kid lit community. You can access all of the incredible blog posts and reading lists here.
- Jodell Sadler is gearing up for the 2nd Annual Birthday Bash for KidLit College. There will be inspiring posts (one of them is mine – hurray!) And incredible prizes…don’t miss it. Here’s just a taste of what the blog posts will look like.
- And because I know how much you all love writing challenges…fellow Storm sister, Alexandria LaFaye has a fun 100-word one going on…what if a piece of food was your childhood friend.
- I’ve been working behind the scenes on the #50PreciousWordsforKids Writing Challenge. The flyer should be ready shortly and I’ll post it on Facebook, Twitter, and my blog. If you are a teacher or connected in any way to an elementary school, this may be for you and the children you work with. The challenge will coincide with Children’s Book Week, May 1-7. It’s all about encouraging diversity in imagination for kids in K-6th Several authors have already offered to donate a mini-Skype classroom visit…I’ll need one for each grade level and I already have three.
And now, thank you for your patience…it’s time for our #PPBF review of a book that JUST CELEBRATED ITS BOOK BIRTHDAY THIS WEEK.
Lucy Loves Sherman
Written by Catherine Bailey
Illustrated by Meg Walters
Publisher: Sky Pony Press (2017)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Friendship, speak out for what you believe
Girl meets lobster. Girl loves lobster. But can girl save lobster?
That’s the question at the center of this sweet and sassy picture book about Lucy, her shell-y friend Sherman, and the seafood-loving town they inhabit.
Lucy loves Sherman from the moment they meet at Flotsam’s Fish Market. Oh sure, he’s an eighteen-pound, eighty-year-old crustacean, but he’s also polka dotted. And blurble-y. And he smells like the ocean! Unfortunately, Nana is not hooked on the idea of a pet lobster.
Things only get worse when Lucy meets Chef Pierre and discovers that Sherman’s fate is on a plate! She must rescue Sherman, even if it means getting into hot water with all the grownups. So Lucy takes action. But will the efforts of one little girl be enough to save Sherman from the bib and butter?“
Why I like this book:
- I love books that make me laugh and cry…and this one does both. So funny and so sweet!
- Great illustrations…I mean…just look at the cover!
- A wonderful launch pad for discussions on friendship, finding your voice and being an activist.
You will need: Piece of blue construction paper, piece of tan construction paper (if you had actual sandpaper, that would be cool), tempura paint, markers, glue, scissors.
- Cut a piece of tan paper to look like sand on the beach and glue in place on the blue paper…if you don’t have colored construction paper, no worries…just use crayons or markers.
- Press bare foot onto a paper plate that has a small bit of red paint.
- Press foot onto paper.
- Wash foot while paper is drying.
- Draw features and details with markers.
- For more info on this or other sea creature crafts: http://www.artistshelpingchildren.org/crabs-lobsters-craftsideasactivitieskids.html
The author has free downloadable coloring pages on her website: http://catherinebaileybooks.com/HOME.html
Have a wonderful weekend, dear friends…don’t forget to leave a comment to be entered in the giveaway of a copy of LUCY LOVES SHERMAN…and please come back tomorrow for:
Will Write for Cookies
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
Posted on March 24, 2017, in Craft Activity for Kids, Giveaway, Perfect Pictture Book Friday, Uncategorized and tagged Activism, animal conservation, Catherine Bailey, Friendship, Lucy Loves Sherman, Make a lobster craft for kids, Meg Walters, Sky Pony Press. Bookmark the permalink. 31 Comments.