It’s Perfect Picture Book Friday…and I’ve got a PERFECT PICTURE BOOK for you!
But we need to make THREE announcements first.
- The lovely Susanna Hill is hosting her Valentiny Contest. For details on how to enter and win one of the fabulous prizes, go here.
- Last week we promised a copy of Andrea J. Loney’s debut picture book, BUNNYBEAR…and the winner is…
Congratulations, Jean! I’ll be contacting you ASAP so I can give your address to Andrea.
- Next month we’ll be honoring Dr. Seuss with the #50PreciousWords Contest…last year we had an unbelievable 128 entries…and prizes galore. I’m putting the challenge together now…more details to follow. If you’d like to donate a picture book, book on the craft of writing, piece of art, critique, or whatever else you think would warm the heart of a kid lit writer, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org…I plan to list the prize donors and their bios and photos/book covers on the February 11th contest post.
And now…hurray…I get to tell you how much I LOVE Annie Silvestro’s debut picture book!
BUNNY’S BOOK CLUB
Written by Annie Silvestro
Illustrated by Tatjana Mai-Wyss
Publisher: Doubleday Books for Young Readers (2017)
Ages: Preschool – Grade 3
Reading, libraries, friendship
Join Bunny for a top-secret trip to the library in a story that celebrates the love of reading.
Bunny loves to sit outside the library with the kids and listen to summer story time. But when the weather gets cold and everyone moves inside, his daily dose of joy is gone. Desperate, Bunny refuses to miss out on any more reading time and devises a plan to sneak into the library at night . . . through the library’s book drop!
What follows is an adorable caper that brings an inquisitive, fuzzy bunny and his woodland pals up close and personal with the books they have grown to love. A warm celebration of the power of books, Bunny’s Book Club is sure to bring knowing smiles to any child, parent, teacher, bookseller, and librarian who understands the one-of-a-kind magic of reading.
And the book has received glowing praise from major reviewers:
“A sweet salute to reading.”—Kirkus
“[Annie Silvestro] makes the pleasures of reading abundantly clear.”—Publishers Weekly
“Mai-Wyss’ soft, muted watercolor scenes sprinkled with charming, expressive cuddly animals is the perfect complement to Silvestro’s enchanting story about the love of books.”—Booklist
“Bunny loved books.”
Why I like this book:
- I love books that encourage young children to become lovers of books and reading…and this book definitely does!
- Wonderful read-aloud!
- Encourages parents and children to utilize the library.
- Beautiful illustrations team perfectly with Silvestro’s text.
Photo courtesy: http://www.education.com
Paper bag bunny puppet
Paper bags are one of my favorite craft materials…they are inexpensive, easy to work with, and so versatile.
You will need: 1 paper bag, construction paper, scissors, glue, crayons or markets.
- Cut out eyes, nose, whiskers, and ears from construction paper and glue on.
- Use crayons or markers to add details.
- Kids will enjoy role-playing with the puppet.
- Visit https://www.education.com/activity/article/bunny-paper-bag-puppet/ for more fun activities for kids.
This book provides a unique opportunity to get a library card for your child if he or she doesn’t already have one. And please check out your local library…most libraries have an array of free activities for children and adults.
That’s all for today…but don’t forget to come back tomorrow:
WILL WRITE FOR COOKIES
This post is part of a series for parents and teachers called Perfect Picture Book Fridays hosted by Susannah Leonard Hill. Click on her link and find lots of other picture book suggestions with summaries and activities.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.